Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Learning to turn right.........






 Gianna is learning to turn her head to the right! I know this sounds crazy, but she does not know she can.  The doctors think that while she was in the womb, she always had her head turned to the left, and then her month in the NICU she slept on that same side.  And during all this she became so comfortable in that position she forgot she could look right!!!  We always noticed that she slept on that side and certainly favored that position when looking at things, so the doctors asked us, "well, can she turn right?" and we realised very quickly that she did not want to, or did not know she could.  Our doctor said this is very common, and Gianna does not have anything muscularly wrong, its all neurological, and that she just has to be reminded that she can turn right.  So now we have exercises to do with her that we learned from a physical therapist(thank you Carol), and we must always interact with her on the right side so she will learn to turn her neck.  She is already improving, these were some pictures I took yesterday while we were on the floor working out the neck muscles.  And I swear she is ready to roll any day, no more leaving her on the changing table while I run for more diapers I guess! :)

No comments: